Senate Minority Leader Enyinnaya Abaribe swiftly rejects apparent exclusion from the Abia PDP 2023 governorship contest.
The Abia State chairman authorised a statement announcing the decision of the party to zone the governorship position to Abia Central.
Abaribe called the decision an “imposition” which is unconstitutional and said he will fight it.
“It is only Abians that will decide who will be their Governor in 2023,” he said in a statement.
The statement is reproduced below:
:My attention has been drawn to a document signed by the State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Dr Alwell Asiforo purporting the Abia State PDP has zoned the Governorship seat to Abia North and Abia Central.
“I wish to assure all Abians who are desirous of an end to imposition in Abia State to disregard the purported zoning for the following reasons:
- While any member of PDP has the right to support anybody for any elective position in Nigeria, it cannot be to the exclusion of any other member.
- It is obvious that the statement was merely formulated to exclude me from the contest.
- By virtue of section 42(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, no person or body can exclude Senator Entinnaya Abaribr (Nma Agha Ndigbo) from contesting and winning the 2023 elections in Abia State.
- All PDP members and Abia citizens are therefore urged to remain calm and participate in the forthcoming congresses and primaries where your voice will be heard as we dismantle the cabal that want to keep Abians subjected to further years of imposition.
- It is only Abians that will decide who will be their Governor in 2023.”
Abaribe rejects exclusion by PDP Abia