- Covid19 Africa cases rise to 6,860 with 269 deaths
- South East Power Supply Worsens in lockdown
- Leave petrol tanker drivers alone, NNPC appeals
- Enugu shuts down market, fumigates strategic locations
Osun figures surge as 6 new cases emerge
Ondo State joined the list of States where Covid-19 has touched base today, even as two more persons succumbed to the virus, bringing deaths to 4.
Latest figures from the NCDC shows 20 cases confirmed this evening with Lagos taking the lead with 11 cases, followed by FCT and Edo with 3 cases each, Osun (2) and Ondo (1)
Twenty-five persons have recovered and have been discharged
As at 11.00 a.m this morning, Nigeria had reported 190 confirmed cases of Covid-19 infections.
The cheery news is that 20 persons have fully recovered and have been discharged while the death count continues to remain at 2 so far.
The State to watch is Osun where the number of infections have now dramatically risen to 20 within two days.
Lagos continues to lead the pack with 98 cases, followd by the FCT (38), Osun (20), Oyo (8), Akwa Ibom (5), Ogun, Edo and Kaduna (4 each), Bauchi (3), Enugu and Ekiti (2 each), and Rivers and Benue (1 each).
African figures on the rise
The World Health Organisation has published the latest figures from the African continent, with a total confirmed cases of 6,860 infections and 269 deaths.
South Africa continues to lead the top five infection-prone countries, with confirmed 1,462 cases, followed by Algeria (986), Egypt (779), Morocco (676), and Tunisia (455) cases.
Top five countries by report of death are Algeria (83), Egypt (52), Morocco (40), Burkina Faso (14) and both Democratic Republic of Congo and Tunisia sharing the fifth spot at 13 deaths each.
The death toll in South Africa is one of the lowest among the heavily affected countries at 5. Of the xxx countries where the virus has touched down, 23 African countries have reported no deaths from the virus so far.
South East Public Power Supply Worsens
South East public electricity supply situation is worsening as national power output rationed to the region today, Friday 3 April 2020, dropped to less than 10 percent.
The Enugu Electricity Distribution Plc (EEDC), which supplies national grid power to the five south eastern states, tweeted this morning that it received a mere 371.56MW (9%) of the national generation of 4,128.42 MW as of 2.57 a.m. this morning.
Many have interpreted the tweet to mean that the power distribution company was indirectly asking consumers to brace up for more disruptions as the entire region goes into lockdown due to Covid-19.
Early this week, a greater part of Enugu and Anambra States was plunged into darkness, arising from what the EEDC described as damage to its installations and equipment following a thunderstorm.
Company spokesperson, Mr. Emeka Eze, said in a release on 1 April that the heavy downpour and thunderstorm felled high- and low-tension poles and destroyed other power conductors and accessories which caused power outage on most of its feeders.
He said that the rainstorm touched four States – Enugu, Anambra, Imo and Abia – but damage to electrical installations affected Enugu State the most.
“We appeal for understanding of our customers, while we assess the situation, work at addressing them and restoring power supply to the affected customers.
“We regret the inconvenience this situation has caused our esteemed customers and assure them that supply will be gradually restored as repairs are completed,” the spokesperson pleaded.
Leave petrol tanker drivers alone, NNPC pleads with security agencies
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday commended Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers State for intervening on behalf of petroleum products tanker drivers and appealed to authorities enforcing lockdowns in various States to desist from harassing them.
Wike was said to have personally ordered that the restriction order be relaxed to enable the drivers restore normalcy in fuel supply distribution in Rivers and surrounding states.
The Managing Director of Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC), Mr. Musa Lawan, reported that the movement restriction led to a buildup around the Imo River which restricted movement of trucks and loading of products from Port Harcourt.
He said that with the intervention of the Governor, tankers can now go in and truck out petroleum products and deliver to neighboring states.
In an earlier press statement, the Corporations spokesperson, Dr. Kennie Obateru, had stated that petroleum products tanker drivers are among essential services workers exempted by the Presidential directive for cessation of movement.
He appealed to law enforcement agencies executing the restriction orders from federal and state authorities to allow the drivers do their duties.
“The Federal Government counts on the support of the law enforcement agencies across the country to ensure smooth distribution of petroleum products during the period of restriction,” he said.
He also advised motorists from engaging in panic buying during this period as the Corporation holds over 2.6billion litres of petrol which should be “enough to last the period of the lockdown and beyond.”
COVID-19: State Fire Service decontaminates Enugu
Enugu State Fire Service today moved into Ogbete Market markets and selected streets with their trucks to decontaminate and fumigate them, in compliance to the directives of the State Government.
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi had carried out a spot assessment of citizen compliance on Wednesday with visits to markets and various areas of Enugu.
He expressed annoyance with the situation he met at Enugu’s major open market, Ogbete Main, and ordered it closed down and decontaminated before it could reopen to the public.
The Governor also visited the sites marked out as isolation centres to determine their preparedness in the event of more infections being discovered in the State.
The Fire Service commenced the task yesterday with fumigation of Ogbete Main Market and them moved on to Polo Shopping Mall in the GRA and on to Old Artisan Market at Ogui Road, three markets with high footfalls in the city.
This evening, the exercise moved to the popular Michael Okpara Square at Independence Layout, from where the Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Okwudiri Ohaa addressed newsmen on their plans.
The Fire Chief said his team will visit Obiagu axis tomorrow before venturing out of Enugu to Nsukka and other areas of the State.
He assured that the substance being used is not poisonous to health as it is mixture of chlorine disinfectant and calcium hypochlorite.