Following expiration of tenure of elected local government officials yesterday 3 December 2019, Enugu State will conduct another local government elections on 29 February 2020, the state electoral commission announced today.
Chairman of Enugu State Independent Electoral Commission (EINSEC), Dr. Mike Ajogwu, a senior advocate, made the announcement in a statement dated yesterday, 3 December 2019.
Local government chairmen and councilors who ended their tenure yesterday were sworn in on 4 December 2017 for the mandatory 2-year tenure.
Enugu Metro gathered that Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi met yesterday with the LG chairmen at which it was agreed that the best way forward was for the chairmen to hand over to the most senior public servant in their headquarters.
The Governor has scheduled meetings with stakeholders from the 17 LGAs, ostensibly to sensitive them on the coming council elections.
In the meantime, EINSEC’s Ajogwu has requested candidates interested in the coming contest to collect and study copies of the guidelines and other information they need to know about the election.
A tentative timetable for the election has been released, as follows:
- 4 December 2019: Publication of notice of local government elections
- 15 – 22 January 2019: Parties to submit to EINSEC their plans and timetables for party primaries to select candidates for elections;
- 23 – 28 January 2020: Parties to obtain nomination forms (Forms 7 & 7A) from EINSEC
- 28 January: Deadline for submission and return of nomination forms to political parties;
- 29 – 30 January: List of nominated candidates forwarded to EINSEC;
- 31 January – 3 February: Vetting of candidates (councillorship nominees to be vetted at local government headquarters and chairmanship nominees shall be vetted at EINSEC headquarters;
- 8 – 10 February: Publication of list of qualified/disqualified candidates;
- 11 – 13 February: Replacement of unqualified candidates by the parties. Names and passport photos of two party agents for each polling booth, endorsed by the parties, are to be forwarded to EINSEC within this time.