Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi yesterday recounted how Enugu State Government removed obstacles that promoted Abuja’s initial reluctance to rehabilite the airport.
These actions, he said at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport reopening event yesterday 30 August, include:
- complete removal of all encroachment on the airport facility;
- relocation of an obstructive radio/TV mast and transmission station;
- demolition and relocation of the Orie Emene market;
- construction of a 1.3km asphalt road to the airport’s radio and navigation facility at Emene; and
- funding the upgrade and refurbishment of existing toilet facility in the terminal building,
Ugwuany’s efforts were variously praised by leader of South East Governors and the Aviation Minister who represented the President.
South East region leaders joined federal officials in their numbers to witness the reopening of Akanu Ibiam International Airport Enugu.
Traditional and political leaders swelled the ranks, from Agbogidi Alfred Achebe and Igwe Lawrence Agubuzu to all but one governor.
Governor Hope Uzodimma (APC, Imo) was the absentee.
Below are the VIPs that came for the event.
Photo Credit: Enugu Govt House Press Unit
Slug: How Enugu removed obstacles to Airport rehabilitation, by Ugwuanyi