A set of Enugu Local Govt Chairmen to run the affairs of the Councils in Emugu State were elected on 29 February 2020.
They were sworn in by the State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, on Monday, 2 March 2020, at a carnival-like ceremony at Michael Okpara Square, Enugu.
There are 17 local government areas in Enugu State (see list below).
Incidentally, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the State won election in all of the 17 councils together with all councillors.
At least one political party rejected the results, saying there were lots of irregularities that attended the voting and counting of ballot.
Barely three months after being sworn in, it was reported that the chairman of Nsukka LGA, Chief Pat Omeje died suddenly on 15 June 2020.
His former deputy, Barr. Cosmas Ibeziako Ugwueze, was subsequently sworn in two weeks later as substantive chair on 29 June 2020.
The names of Enugu State Local Government Chairmen as at December 2020 are as follows
- Aninri Hon Ezekiel Chukwu
- Awgu Hon. Pedro O. Nwankwo
- Enugu East Hon. Alex O. Ugwu
- Enugu North Hon. Emeka Onunze
- Enugu South Hon. Monday Eneh
- Ezeagu Hon. Chukwudi M. Ani
- Igbo-Etiti Hon Nkechi Ugwu-Oju (Mrs.)
- Igboeze North Hon. Ejike W. Itodo
- Igboeze South Hon. Peter Andy Omeje
- Isi-Uzo Hon. Jacob Abonyi
- Nkanu East Hon. Abel Uchenna Nwobodo
- Nkanu West Chief Nwabueze Nnamani
- Nsukka Hon. Cosmas I. Ugwueze
- Oji River Hon. Franklin Udemezue
- Udenu Hon. Solomon I. Onah
- Udi Hon. Ifeanyi Agu, and
- Uzo-Uwani Hon. Chukwudi Nnadozie
Names of new Local Govt Council chairmen, Enugu State