#EndSARS Crime & Justice

Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Update as it happens

Enugu Metro brings you all-day nationwide reports and developments on the Lekki Toll Gate killing today, 21 October 2020.

Biden urges restraint

Democratic Presidential Contender Mr. Joe Biden has called for restraint and expressed support for Nigerians fighting for justice.

Here is the full text of the statement he released today on the Nigerian situation:

I urge President Buhari and the Nigerian military to cease the violent crackdown on protesters in Nigeria, which has already resulted in several deaths.

My heart goes out to all those who have lost a loved one in the violence.

The United States must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption in their democracy.

I encourage the government to engage in a good-faith dialogue with civil society to address these long-standing grievances and work together for a more just and inclusive Nigeria.” 


Protesters encircle SE as harassed governors impose 24-hour curfews

Enugu. 10.30 p.m. 21 October 2020

south east governors 2020
South East Governors

#EndSARS protests swept through the South East today, forcing four States to impose 24-hour curfews to rein in their restless youths.

The governors alleged that out of state criminal elements had been transported into their states to infiltrate peaceful protesters.

Abia, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo Governors announced total restriction on movement, as youths and hoodlums set up bonfires and harassed motorists.

ENUGU

In Enugu, soldiers were drafted from the 82 Division to secure strategic government assets, including the international airport.

Essential workers and others going to their legitimate businesses had to contend with the hoodlums who infiltrated the youth protests.

“Let me just say that I survived anarchists and arsonists on my way home,” an engineer who lives in Emene said.

ABIA

The Abia State Government said it acted on intelligence that armed cultists and hoodlums were sneaking into the state from different parts of the country in large numbers

A government spokesperson also said the hoodlums burnt down two police stations and reportedly killed two policemen.

Citing leaked plans to unleash more violence on the state, Gov. Okezie slammed a 24-hour curfew.

EBONYI

Gov. Dave Umahi imposed a 24-hour curfew from 7.00pm today over fears that thugs imported into the state were set to foment trouble.

He said intelligence gathered suggested that the hoodlums were planning to set prisoners free and torch government facilities and police stations.

He maintained that the thugs were not from Ebonyi but rather “agents brought into the state by yet to be identified individuals.”

IMO

Gov. Hope Uzodimma of Imo State was the first to impose a 24-hour curfew, citing plans by unnamed enemies to cause mayhem.

He called the trouble makers “unscrupulous and unpatriotic elements.”

“(They) have concluded arrangements to hide under the #endSARS protests to sponsor some youths to embark on new protests in the State.

“I understand that the sponsors of the protests are using the state of roads in the state to further persuade the youths to embark on the action.

“This is most unpatriotic and unfortunate,” he said in a broadcast on Tuesday.


TVC television station burnt down

7.13 a.m 21 October 2020

Television Continental (TVC), a broadcast medium said to be owned by APC strongman Bola Tinubu was burnt down this morning by irate citizens.

Staff who managed to escape from the inferno related how most of the cars in the premises were torched before the building itself was set on fire.

Presenters Morayo Brown and Tope Odigie both rescued from the building narrate their ordel in the video.

There were also reports that the family home of Governor Sanwo-Olu was set ablaze this morning, although this is yet to be confirmed.


NBA calls it lawless and reckless, to sue Military

  • Abuja. 10.32 am. By Our Reporters

The Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) will sue the Nigerian Military on behalf of the families of Lekki shooting victims.”

The military will be charged for “abuse of power, disregard of rules of engagement and the infringement of the fundamental rights (including right to life) of the affected citizens,” the association said in a statement.

NBA described the “dastardly shooting and killing of #ENDSARS protesters” on Tuesday, 20 October 2020 as an “act of recklessness and lawlessness by the security apparatus of the Government.”

“Even if the protesters at the Lekki Toll Plaza were in breach of the curfew imposed by the Lagos State Government, such a misdemeanor or breach did not warrant the use of live ammunition by the Nigerian military to confront otherwise peaceful, unarmed and defenseless protesters,” it said

NBA asked the military to identify and name officers involved for immediate prosecution
and dismissal.

Its National Executive Committee will convene a meeting within 48 hours to “review the state of the Nation and take other appropriate steps to decisively deal with the situation and prevent the nation from further going adrift.”


Hilary Clinton, Beyonce weigh in on Lekki Killings

11.25 p.m. 20 October 2020

Former US Presidential candidate and First Lady, Hilary Rodham Clinton, yesterday asked President Muhammadu Buhari and the Nigerian Army to stop killing young people.

She took to Twitter to tell them.

Also, pop music icon, Beyonce has offered to help the protesters with supplies of food and medicine


NBA calls it lawless and reckless

  • Abuja. 10.32 am. By Our Reporters

The Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) will sue the Nigerian Military on behalf of the families of Lekki shooting victims.”

The military will be charged for “abuse of power, disregard of rules of engagement and the infringement of the fundamental rights (including right to life) of the affected citizens,” the association said in a statement.

NBA described the “dastardly shooting and killing of #ENDSARS protesters” on Tuesday, 20 October 2020 as an “act of recklessness and lawlessness by the security apparatus of the Government.”

“Even if the protesters at the Lekki Toll Plaza were in breach of the curfew imposed by the Lagos State Government, such a misdemeanor or breach did not warrant the use of live ammunition by the Nigerian military to confront otherwise peaceful, unarmed and defenseless protesters,” it said

NBA asked the military to identify and name officers involved for immediate prosecution
and dismissal.

Its National Executive Committee will convene a meeting within 48 hours to “review the state of the Nation and take other appropriate steps to decisively deal with the situation and prevent the nation from further going adrift.”