Governor Willie Obiano’s investigation panels probes alleged human rights violations by the dreaded Awkuzu SARS in Anambra State.
The panel will “look into reports of abuse of human rights by the defunct SARS in the state,” he said.
The decision to set up the panel is the outcome of meeting between the Governor and Anambra youths, Information Commissioner, Chief C. Don Adinuba said.
The National Economic Council has this week empowered State Governors to probe operations of defunct SARS in their states.
Governor Obiano subsequently invited Anambra youths to Awka to hear their experiences at the hands of security agents.
He expressed dismay with reports of “inhuman treatment to the youth” and praised President Buhari for disbanding SARS.
Governor Obiano directed the State Police Commissioner to review detentions at defunct SARS facilities and police formations in the State.
This, he said, is “to ensure that the freedoms and dignity of all citizens are upheld at all times.”
The panel will also specifically look into allegations of extrajudicial killings by a retired Police Chief Superintendent, James Nwafor.
CSP Nwafor and his activities while leading operations at Awkuzu SARS have been trending on Twitter for quite some time now.
“He will face prosecution if found guilty of any of the alleged offences,” Adinuba said in the statement.
Panel members include Anambra students association representative, three youths representing the senatorial districts, and a serving youth corps scheme member.
The rest are:
- Anambra State chairm of the Civil Liberties Organisation.
- Chair of the Anambra Civil Society Network.
- Chair of Anambra Chapter of Youth Council of Nigeria.
- Representative of Youth Wing of Ohaneze NdIgbo in the State.
- Chair of Youth Wing of the Anambra Town Unions (ASATU).
- Chair of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Anambra State.
- Nominee of Archbishop of the Anglican Province of the Niger.
- Nominee of Archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Onitsha.
- Representative of Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria in Anambra State.
- Chair of Anambra State Traditional Rulers Council.
- State Attorney General & Commissioner for Justice.
- Commissioner for Youth & Creative Economy;
- The two youngest members of the State Executive Council; and
- Special Adviser to the Governor on Creative Security.
The investigation team is led by retired Justice VN Umeh and is given 30 days to complete the task.
Cover Photo ©Pius Utomi Ekpei: #EndSARS protests at Alausa, Ikeja
Slug: Anambra probes Awkuzu SARS